Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Phones

Faith (left) with Shasta; Elizabeth is holding Einstein.
Jillian returns after a successful ride to the post office to purchase minutes for the phone.

Hello, all--


Another eventful day here. Rennovation has begun on the bathrooms at the Dai Loc orphanage. Tony was out there and the work is progressing nicely. Soon the kids will have new shower stalls and more working toilets.


At our house, we have had an upgrade (we think) to the phone. When we moved in, Mr. Bo had phone service here, with one telephone on the first floor. The phone worked, technically, but had increasing static. Little by little, we opted for the cell phones.Here, all cell phone minutes are prepaid. When the phone "runs out" of the minutes, you cannot make any calls. You can, however, receive calls. Also, most people I know (but not all) can text message, even if they have no minutes on their phone. Minutes can be added to the phone at any post office, which is interesting to me, because you cannot receive mail at every post office. For example, there is a post office almost directly across the street from us. We cannot receive mail there, but we can purchase minutes for our phones. The other day, Jillian ventured out on her bike and bought minutes for my phone. It was a great victory for her, since she went by herself and was able to transact the business without incident or difficulty.


We learned, however, that a "wireless" phone is less expensive than the regular phone service, and about half of the cell phone expense. When Duc said "wireless", I was thinking "cordless." No, no, no. It is wireless. The phone looks like a regular base and handset, with a cord connecting the handset to the base. But it works like a cell phone with a sim card. When charged, it can be carried anywhere--as long as you take the whole phone. We can text message with it, etc.


Another major development here is the addition to our family. Tony and I realize our girls will be young only once. So...today he brought home not one, but two puppies. You can only imagine the peals of squeals. Shasta and Einstein, both males, have been welcomed with open arms. I don't know how Caphe and Basille will feel about their new neighbors. :)


I know that New Year is nearly a week old, but I have been thinking about resolutions. I love the idea of beginning fresh and new. My resolutions are not about perfection, but progress. I am not looking for the final arrival at a destination as much as a definite departure from where I am right now. I am resolved to surrender fully, to look to Jesus in every situation and rely on Him, to experience the joy that He has for me, to walk out a life where in Him I "live and move and have my being." Several years ago, I heard Dr. John Oswalt talk about Isaiah 26:3-- "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You." He said that in Hebrew, the picture of this verse is of one a mind leaning upon the Lord at such an angle that should the Lord move, the leaning mind would fall flat with no chance of catching itself. I want to lean like that. Leaning on Jesus while still bracing myself "just in case" is not faith.


Today, I read a quote by Charles Spurgeon that has kept me thinking along these lines..."Faith goes up the stairs that love has made and looks out the window which hope has opened."May we all climb the stairs before us with anticipation and joy!


Grace and peace!