Friday, January 2, 2009

One Sunny Day

Tony arrives home in the rain. I took the picture from the upstairs balcony.


Hello, all--

I awoke to the same howling wind and continual spatter of rain that had sent me off to sleep the night before. For the third consecutive day, rain was blowing in visible sheets as water poured from the sky. "Hmmmmm," I thought. Another day of clothes that won't dry, of mopping up leaks on the stairs, of layering on clothes against the damp cold that has settled from floor to ceiling. Another sequestered day in the house. Just when I was grumbling toward the coffee, the power went off. I was ready to run with a list of complaints, worries, pessimistic possibilities--when a still, small voice abruptly and unexpectedly stopped me. "You'll be all right. All it will take is one sunny day." I smiled. No need to let the weather "rain on my parade" (pun intended--ha!)

I've been thinking about it all day. If just the thought of a sunny day could turn my day around, what warmth and goodness could I bring to the life of another person? I experienced that today, too. You can imagine that tempers don't always stay pleasant when 6 people are "housebound." (Tony has to get out, so he faces the daily drenching and chill wrapped in plastic.) By the end of the day, I was feeling a little down again--too sharp with the girls, too many commands, demands, and reprimands...

Tonight, I received an email of "The Mom Song." I have put the link below. What a great reminder of all the things we share as parents...or children. The song brought a little sunshine to my night. Hope it does the same for you.

Grace and peace!