Saturday, January 10, 2009

Finding Our Way


Hello, all-

Joy may be the last Brewer girl to lose a baby tooth, but she made up for it by losing two on the same night! There is now a nice gap in the front bottom row. She loves it.

Today I took Joy and Anna Mei to ballet class. Last week, the teacher surprised us all by giving them matching pink dance leotards. Since Anna Mei and Joy were the only two in the class to receive them, I wondered if we had missed something in a previous week...or if I was supposed to purchase them...or if they were just checking sizes... I called Linh to talk to the teacher on the phone. It turns out that she just saw the leotards and wanted to buy them for the girls (dance leotards are not easy to find here-- many people have them made). They were a gift. I felt bad for the other girls, although no one in the class seemed to pay much attention. Even the other parents who were there were all smiles. Very different.

On the way to ballet, our taxi driver spoke a little English--enough to say "Hello, madame. How are you? Where you go?" That's all it took for Anna Mei. She talked to him non-stop the remainder of the ride. He was grinning from ear to ear, which she took to mean comprehension. She needed no further encouragement. Even I had to concentrate to catch her monologue, which went something like this...

Wow, this bridge sure has a lot of traffic today. When we get really good on our bikes, we're going to ride across the bridge. But that might take awhile. Hey, maybe you can drive the taxi next to us on our bikes and we can wave to you. But you will have to be careful, we are only allowed to turn right on to streets right now. But when we get really good in traffic, we're going to ride to Big C and ballet and Metro and all over. Do you have a bike? I really like to ride. I also like to dance and paint. Do you have kids? You can bring them over to our house to play sometime. It's okay if they don't speak English--I know some Vietnamese. Xin chao! Ban co que khong? Cam on. Toi tam tuoui. ("Hello! How are you? Thank you. I am 8 years old.")

There was more, but you get the picture. The words just poured out of her at lightening speed.All these things made me think today about learning to live in a new culture and adjustments. Which reminded me that I am continuing to learn how to live in the Kingdom. Attitudes, reactions, values, etc. are different in this Kingdom. It is a new "normal." I can choose to assimilate and allow the Holy Spirit to change me, or I can resist and insist on living my own way--even though it will make things harder on me. I may not understand the "whys" of life in the Kingdom. But life will be more enjoyable, peaceful, contented, and productive if I humble myself and give up my "own way."

May your day be joyous because the King reigns in your heart today!

Grace and peace!