Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Our Challenging Adventure Begins

Tony, Jillian, Marissa and Enoch left yesterday for a trip to the US. There were plenty of hugs and tears, some howling--but I settled down eventually. Ha! Actually, the parting of the sisters was the most teary. But, all have recovered. Tony said in an email today that Jillian is doing well. Elizabeth and Anna Mei have rallied also and we have had a good day. The travellers spent the night in Hanoi, then flew to Hong Kong today. They will board a plane for the States tomorrow--actually two different planes, since Enoch and Marissa are on a different flight that Jillian and Tony.

Tony told me that this trip with Jillian reminded him of the first time he was alone with her in Hong Kong--it was nine years ago when he was bringing her home from China to introduce me to our first daughter! Both her ears were infected on that trip, so I trust she is having a better time on this go round (and Tony, too!).

A humorous incident here before they left...with the theft of Enoch and Marissa's computer a couple of weeks ago, our office was down to one laptop for any of us to use--working out computer time was tricky! Since Tony will need one while he is away, and I need one here, he purchased another computer last week. It is quite an ordeal to purchase a computer in Danang. The intitial visit takes about 2 hours to look, select a model, then try to get adequate specs, talk about programs, etc. I suspect, like Tony, many people are exasperated by the time they place an order, and leave with an appointment to come back and pick up the computer. Our experience is, at that appointment, the computer is not ready. It was closing time on Saturday night, so the manager offered to deliver it to our house on Sunday morning. They took all the address and phone information, and Tony left a copy of his US driver's license for ID. On Sunday morning, they called to confirm delivery--he knew right away it was the computer store--the manager addressed him as "Mr. Kentucky."

I have noticed that many people here wear clothing with English words or phras)es or even brand names. It is sometimes obvious that the apparel is Vietnamese made, masquerading as western, simply because of the spelling. I have a pair of flip flops that have the name Addsas (almost "Addidas"). Some of the shirts have encouraging or uplifting words or phrases. Yesterday I saw a young lady wearing a jacket with the word "Sencetive" on the back. I laughed because I thought of all the people I know who are "sensitive" to misspellings (did I just commit one?) Ha!

After our group left for the airport and things were quiet again...after supper, and baths (and showers for Faith and Elizabeth, who love to control the spray nozzle)...while the girls watched a "Peter Pan" DVD before bed...a thought tip-toed in my mind and settled until I noticed it: "Can I really do this? Can I be here in Vietnam with four little girls..without Jillian? Can I take care of them and nurture them and give them what they need without Tony being here? Can I keep up with the house, the daily expenses and record keeping, and get ready for school, and start language classes and .....?" Then, I picked up the nearest book--a daily devotional by Dallas Willard...and here is the Scripture for yesterday:


"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8

What a sweet reminder. My Father knows what I need before I ask. Help is dispatched before I am aware of the need. He is my strength and my song, my heart trusts in Him and I am helped.When you pray, know that we are well and happy. Pray for the Brewers on both sides of the world.

Grace and peace!

PS In reading back over this I was a little chagrined that I see "me, me, me"--I hope that you know that I feel honored and blessed to serve the Lord here. Life is good. God is gooder (hee hee). I am among the most blessed of women. God has granted me to marry the love of my life, and I have seen Tony lay down his life for me (and the girls) in so many ways every day. God has given us five beautiful, gifted, lively daughters--precious inside and out, and on top of it all, He has granted me the adventure of a lifetime--serving Him with all that I am, taking that, and making it more than I could give. I am rich with family and friends--more than that--brothers and sisters who will go the distance with us, pray faith-filled prayers, laugh, cry and wonder with me. I am not worried, or even uncomfortable. I am blessed and I am rejoicing. I wish the same for you.