Monday, September 15, 2008

avail-Ability

Hello again!

It is getting late here, but with the house quiet, I found myself reading and writing in my journal. And that, of course, made me want to share my thoughts. But then, you're not really a "captive audience", because you can send me off into cyberspace without ever reading the message. Don't do it! Just kidding.

At the Danang International Fellowship yesterday, our pastor was speaking about the changing face of Danang. Many new hotels are being built along the beach line, with more scheduled for development. The pastor said that only a few years ago, any westerners in Danang were here for a very short time--a couple weeks at most, tourists or short-term missions. Now, there is a growing population of "foreigners" who are here for months or years. New industry brings all kinds of workers from construction oversight and management, to staff, to support businesses. And so, the focus of the church is changing as well. Vietnamese citizens are not allowed to attend the international church, and the church's outreach to them is severely curtailed. But, with the influx of international residents, it is a different story. So now, there is the challenge before us as the body of Christ to evangelize, disciple and minister to people from all over the world who are in Danang for a multitude of reasons. The pastor concluded his remarks with a challenge to pray about how we might reach out to the international community.

My first reaction was resistance. After all, isn't just about every person in the church already committed to various ministriee s? But, over the past 24 hours, my attitude has changed. One reason for the "resettting" of my mind is the fact that Dennis Kinlaw stepped all over my toes (again!) in his devotional book, "This Day With the Master." Two quotes hit me right between the eyes. The first is "It must be astounding to God that we carry on the ordinary business of life as if we were not sent ones."

What? Me???? Astound God with my world marching on, oblivious to what He might be saying to me about my city, my neighborhood, my neighbor? The second quote hit me even harder: "We can have a nice postion and a respectable reputation as a Christian, and yet never be available to the Christ whose name we bear." Ouch. Years ago, there was a family member who always spoke with sympathy, kindness and profuse offers of as sistance. But whenever actually called upon, this dear soul quickly backed off. There was always a multitude of good reasons why she couldn't, shouldn't and wouldn't actually do anything. Her words were all compassion, but if action cost her anything at all, the price was too high. In the end, it became kind of an inside joke in the family. Her statements of "Call me if I can do anything" were met with rolling eyes and a suppressed giggle. Everyone knew never to really ask.

In His wisdom and compassion, every now and then (or more often, if we listen), God actually opens our eyes to His work. As Henry Blackaby says in his classic "Experiencing God," the revelation of God's working is His invitation for us to join Him in it. Maybe He places a lingering concern on our hearts, or inspires us with an idea that will bless, encourage or minister to someone. Maybe we feel a desire to do something great for His kingdom, or to be more than we are today for His glory. Does He find me available?

That word--available--really captured my interest. I couldn't help but think when I avail myself of all that He offers me--grace, strength, wisdom, love, etc.--then, and only then, am I able to fulfill His call.So, I prayed tonight, "Lord, I am Yours. Whatever You want for me, or from me; however You would use me, or not; in whatever way I can serve You, live for You, or die (to this world or myself) for You--I want to be available."May you experience a new, higher level of ability than you thought possible as you avail yourself of all that He has for you!

Grace and peace from His righteous and tender hand.