Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Saw What They Wanted, Blind to What They Needed

I wanted to share something that the Lord has been stirring in my heart for a couple of days now. I will get to that in a moment. But first..."Good morning, Vietnam!" I always wanted to say that--somehow it loses it's comedic appeal in print. Oh well, I tried.

Yesterday was a national holiday here. I asked Linh what it was about, and she smiled sweetly and said, "It is like our national day when Ho Chi Minh pushed back the American invaders." (deep breath) Okay. So, I decided that the girls and I would stay at home. (Let me say that we have NOT experienced any kind of anti-American sentiment here--doesn't mean it is not to be found, just means that we have not seen or felt it, so do not worry--everyone has been "playing nice.") Mr. Bo displayed his Vietnamese flag at the front gate. It is odd to see any flag other than the Stars and Stripes displayed so prominantly. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have Tony bring back an American flag for our classroom.

Something rather humorous (at least to me) happened this morning when Bee arrived. She was telling me something about sleeping, but I wasn't quite getting it (with my "no Vietnamese" and her "no English"--we get along at communicating remarkably well, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of pantomime!). Just then, Mrs. Bo came around the corner, so Bee told her the message. It was "Tomorrow night I am going to sleep at your house." I suppressed a giggle. What was that we were telling the girls about inviting themselves to spend the night with friends? Hmmm... It is sweet, really. I think they are worried about me and the girls with Tony and Jillian gone. Linh also said something about staying here a few nights.

Now, on to important matters. The other day I was reading 2 Kings 7. It is a remarkable story, I think. When Aram's army (Syria) attacked Samaria, the result was a famine in all Israel. Prices skyrocketed (a donkey's head sold for 80 shekels--doesn't that sound appetizing? and a pint of dove's dung went for 5 shekels--I won't even ask what that was for). Elisha received a message from the Lord that within 24 hours, prices would drop dramatically--a full measure of fine flour would be 1 shekel, as would be more than 4 bushels of barley--now we're talking!) The king's royal officer scoffed, saying that even if the windows of heaven were flung open, such a thing would be impossible. I'm sure he was thinking that such an event would require Aram's army to be instantaneously defeated with no losses to the conquerors.) Of course, the prophecy came true.How did God do it? He caused the Arameans to hear the approaching sound of a great army. Thinking that Israel's king had enlisted the help of powerful neighbors to help in the fight, the Arameans ran, abandoning their weapons, food, clothing, and animals.What really stood out to me is the way that Israel learned of their deliverance. This is how that happened...

Four lepers had been begging at the gate. They knew they were doomed. There was no food for anyone to share. They reasoned..."if we sit here, we starve. If we go into the city, we starve. Let's give ourselves up to the Arameans. Perhaps they will spare our lives. If not, we're as good as dead any way." And so, they approached the camp. They, of course, found it fully supplied with everything but people. After they ate and filled their pockets, they realized that they could be in serious trouble if they did not share this profound information, so they went back to the palace and became the unlikely heralds of this happy news.

Here is what I have been thinking... There are four lepers, perhaps signifying all the peoples of the earth (North, South, East, West--the four corners, so to speak).. The whole world is sick with sin, incurable, debillitating, progressively intrusive, desensitizing, scarring sin. Many people are like the lepers, resigned to the fact that they are doomed. They are hopeless--darned if they do, darned if they don't. So, like the lepers, they slink off to the enemy's camp. They try to "fit in"--or just find a life for themselves--it doesn't have to be a good life, just someplace to get by. Who can blame them, they reason, it's just the way things are. Surprisingly, what they expect at the camp, fear or capture, does not happen. God has been there ahead of them. He has prepared their way. When there is no help on any side, there is always help from above Like giddy children, they romp through the camp. Then, they become God's messengers of the fulfilled prophecy. Who would expect the news of this miraculous occurrence to be entrusted to four lepers who were waiting for death just the day before?And the result? Israel was spared conquest by the Arameans. The king cannot believe the news. He sends a "test group" to verify. The next verses are the most telling of all...there is not record of repentance, thanksgiving, celebration or worship. The smug royal official, so skeptical of God's ability to deliver His people, was trampled at the gate by the people running to the plunder (no restraint? "every man for himself? totally self-absorbed?). Famine still comes upon the land, this time sent directly from God's own hand. There is no further mention of the lepers.

Is this a picture our world? Suffering people, sad, observing things getting worse and worse, feeling powerless and hopeless. But God...But GOD...BUT GOD...! Always ahead, making a way. It may be the unexpected, the improbable, the impossible...but He is able! My answer may come in the middle of the night and I just have not found out about it yet. My enemy's camp is emptied, waiting for me to celebrate in the spoils, if I will have the courage to face it. May I remember where my help comes from. Oh, Father, let me be quick to recognize your hand, expectant of your deliverance, instantaneous to thank you, faithful to declare Your goodness, ready to receive of Your abundant blessing because You can trust me to be Your vessel.

Grace and peace to you this day!