Friday, January 1, 2010

Living in the Tens

Hello, all—
Happy New Year!

The coming of a new year always encourages me. I enjoy the opportunity to begin again, to have a fresh start, a clean slate.

A few weeks ago, I started thinking about the significance in my own life of 2010. I began thinking about ways my life could be better by incorporating activities that could be done in just 10 minutes a day: reading a good book, cross stitch, power nap, etc. But then, a phrase began recurring in my thoughts…living in the tens. It captured my interest. I did a little investigating about the number 10 in the Bible. And I was amazed.

The number 10 refers to a completeness of order, marking the entirety of anything—there is nothing wanting, the cycle is complete. With numbers, the whole “decimal” system consists of so many tens, of which the first is a type of the whole (10, 20, 30, etc.).

The Bible contains many references to tens. Here are just a few (and I do mean a few of the entire list I have compiled)…
There are 10 generations from Adam to Noah; and 10 more from Noah to Abraham.
10 Commandments
10 Egyptian Plagues
10 Trials that proved Abraham’s faith
10 Rebellions of Israel in the Wilderness (Nu. 14:22)
10 Gerahs paid by each man at a time of Census
10 righteous people would have saved Sodom and Gomorrah
In the Tabernacle: 10 Linen curtains, 10 Pillars, 10 sockets ,The ground plans and elevations proceed by tens
In the account of Abraham’s servant finding a wife for Isaac in Genesis 24: 10 camels, 10 shekels of gold, a 10-day stay, and 10-thousand blessings

I could go on, but I think we get the picture: 10 is a number of significance in the Bible. I will mention one more, it is the 10 words used throughout Psalm 119 to refer to the Word of God. They are: Way, Precepts, Ordinances, Judgments, Statutes, Testimony, Commandment, Law, Righteousness and Word. One of these words is found in every verse of Psalm 119, with 3 exceptions (vs.90, 122, and 132).

Still, I have kept searching, trying to surmise what meaning there might be for me in the phrase, “living in the tens.” If you are like me, there are some things that need completing in your life. Maybe some attitudes that need to come to an end. Situations that need to come to a conclusion, instead of continuing like a circular roller coaster, up and down, only to begin again. In my own life, I want a new season of fellowship with God, of fruitfulness in ministry, of spiritual strength and wisdom. Ahhhh…but how to get there?

Then, I was reminded of John 10:10. Jesus said, “The thief comes only to steal, to kill and to destroy. But I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly.” I see here three keys to living that abundant life.
The first is discernment. We must discern who or what the thieves are. Of course, Satan, the enemy of my soul and yours, is at the top of the list. But, I think we give him too much assistance (at least I know I do). It is like the saying…”We have met the enemy, and it is us.”

So, who or what are the enemies in my life that come to steal trust, joy and commitment? What thieves work to kill the loving relationship with my heavenly Father? Who or what threatens to destroy my fruitfulness in God’s kingdom?

I listed a few thieves, you can probably add more…
Pride
Unresolved anger or bitterness
Being double-minded: wanting the ways of God at times, wanting my own way at others
Habitual sin
Indifference
Nurtured or coddled sorrow, regret or hurt
Fear
Disappointment

Only the Holy Spirit can reveal the “thieves” that some to steal, kill and destroy in each of our lives.

Secondly, living an abundant life will require some discipline on my part. I must walk toward all that the Lord has for me. He will not “drop it” on me without my assent and participation. Jesus said that we “might” have life—it is not a given, but it is available. I must follow through on what He puts on my heart to do. Obedience. Surrender. Mother Teresa said, “I do not pray for success, I pray for faithfulness.”

The third component of abundant life is delight. It is not merely “life” that Jesus offers, it is “abundant life.” And I say, “Yes!”

I have confident hope that the goodness of God awaits us. Why? Because of Romans 8:38, 39, which lists ten (of course) things that can never separate us from the love of Christ: “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers; nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing shall be able to separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

And, if that is not enough, consider the ten “I Am’s” from the Gospel of John:
"I am the Bread of Life" (6:35).
"I am the Bread of Life which came down from heaven" (6:41).
"I am the Living Bread" (6:51).
"I am the Light of the world" (8:12).
"I am One that bear witness of Myself" (8:18).
"I am the Door of the sheep" (10:7,9).
"I am the Good Shepherd" (10:14).
"I am the Resurrection and the Life" (14:6).
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (14:6).
"I am the True Vine" (15:1,5).

This is our God. Sufficient for every need. Tender in every sorrow. Reassuring in every quandary. Whatever we lack, He has.

As we enter 2010, I want to live “in the tens.” That is, I want to experience in complete fullness all of what the Lord has for me. I want to defeat the thieves that come to steal, kill and destroy and I want to live in abundance…abundant faithfulness, abundant obedience, abundant joy, abundant wisdom, abundant fruitfulness.

It’s a new decade…the decade of “the tens.” May God grant us a spiritual harvest of the life He desires to give us!

Grace and peace!