Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Facing Our Fears

The brave and beautiful Elizabeth!
Making dentures...

in the parking garage below the dentist's office!

Jillian with Dr. Hung

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

That's a verse, a declaration of promise that we have learned and use often in our daily lives here. We began saying it daily as Elizabeth was struggling with Math--not her favorite subject.
Today, Elizabeth and I both had the opportunity to face our fears, rely on the promise of God and run to the roar.
For me, it involved the motorbike. I had a little mishap over the weekend. On Sunday afternoon, the girls took me to see the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic" (yes, we are very limited here on movie offerings). Any way, Sunday nights at Big C are wild--because of the heat, there is always a crowd out on the streets at night. Big C's parking lot is under the shopping center, with a steep ramp the get in and out. As we were leaving, people were crowding, trying to get ahead. There is no such thing as "lining up" here. Any way, a boy on a bicycle was several yards ahead of me. He managed to get up the ramp, then stopped abruptly to look back at his friends. By that time, I was on my way up the ramp. It is impossible to stop on the ramp, so I tried to hug the wall on the left to miss the boy. Unfortunately, I wobbled, into the wall on my left arm. No biggie, really. I didn't tip over. Jillian and Faith were with me, they didn't even touch the wall. I had a few scrapes and bruises, but it shook my confidence. I wasn't sure I wanted to ride up the ramp ever again. But, today I did, without incident. Thank God!

Elizabeth had a bigger hurdle. We visited the dentist for a teeth cleaning. He found the tiniest of holes in Elizabeth's tooth and recommended filling it. We proceeded slowly, and while it was not pleasant, Elizabeth came through like a champion.

About the dentist, he is a very nice man, named Dr. Hung. Linh told him about our work with orphans and he said that because of our work, all of our dental services would be free. In addition, he said he would treat the children at the orphanage and any children from Tien Phouc and Hiep Duc that we bring to him. What a blessing! By the way, everyone's teeth are in good shape with Jillian and Faith getting a report of perfect!

Another interesting thing about the dentist: his office is in a building with its own parking on the ground level. In the basement, near the parked motorbikes, two men sit at a table making dentures.

The Lord is so good. Marissa spent the day working with workmen preparing to paint the kids' rooms at Dai Loc. How exciting! Their living space will soon be so much better than what they have had in the past.

Whatever is before you this day, I pray that you know for certain that you really can do all things through the Christ who will strengthen you at every turn!

Grace and peace!