Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Sacred Gift


(Left: Our three oldest with good friends, the Bo family--our neighbors and landlords. My favorite chewing machines and rat killers are there, too, but wouldn't mug for the camera!)

One of the great blessings of our journey to Vietnam is reconnecting and developing friendships with many people who had somehow "gotten away" from us as far as daily contact and "up to date" communication. The other day, I was reminded again through several avenues of the sacred gift of friendship. It is a trust to be held, appreciated, and yielded to the Lordship of Jesus.


First, I was once again reading Dennis Kinlaw's devotional "This Day With The Master." Here are some excerpts from the August 7 reading:


"God bestows on His creatures the gift of friendship as an expression of His love. The relationships we possess are not something we create. They are gifts God gives as a symbol of His own nature, which is the communion love of three Persons. Wo would want to live in a world without the gifts of God. Those precious gifts will atrophy and disappear if we try to hold them separately from Him."


Later that same day, I received emails from two "long lost" friends--what an absolute joy! Since then, three more people that I had lost touch with, but who have meant so much to me when we lived near each other, have checked in. I am bubbling over with happiness!


Another gift...last night we took an outing to Big C--exciting on a Friday night, eh? Any way, when we returned, the Bo's were watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and they invited us in to watch with them. It was so nice of them. They admired all the countries. They cheered with us for USA. I was reminded what a gift it is that the Lord brought us here to this house. Their friendship has made our way easier.


And now, just a few minutes ago, Bee called me to the kitchen with a "hush hush" motion. The girls were upstairs and on my way down, I thought, "Oh no. I wonder if she found a rat or a spider or a snake or a.... " Any way, she took my hand and led me to the kitchen where she had just finished preparing lunch (which we will consume in about 5 minutes). There on all our plates, were grilled ham sandwiches--something we have not had since we arrived. They look beautiful. Bee noticed that I had a BLT at the western restaurant where we celebrated Marissa's birthday (we had invited Bee to join us). She observed how it was made, and today, we're having grilled sandwiches. My heart is so full of humble thankfulness that this sweet woman would care so much what we (specifically I) like and then work to duplicate it. It is such a gift of her friendship. We are blessed (and, specifically again, I am blessed).


May the thoughts of your friends bring you happy memories and thankfulness today!


Love, grace and peace to you all!