Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ahh, Vietnam...Part Deux


Pictured: Scientist Anna Mei Brewer in her DaLat bathtub (and YOU thought it was a bucket) shortly before completing her experiment on the removal of bristles from a brush.
We just finished a big outing to the Big C Super Center. We had a really big time--no big troubles.


It occurred to me that one huge difference in shopping here is the limits on choice and availability. For example, today we needed to buy a hairbrush. One of ours was destroyed on our trip by the hands of someone who wanted to see if the bristles could be separated from the back handle. For all those who have stayed awake at night pondering this question that speaks to the very core of our existence as human beings, let me assure you, indeed they can. Not only that, they can be separated from the handle spike by spike, in groups of 2 or 3, or the entire bristle pad can be removed with one decidedly forceful yank.


So, here we are in the hair doo-dad aisle at Big C. There are all manner of shampoos, conditioners, gels, sprays, barrettes, hairbands and bun holders (for your HAIR). I take that back--there is NO shampoo in all of Danang that advertises to add body--everybody wants silky, silky, silky. Anyhoo, I digress. There were combs aplenty. And one...yes, one (uno, un, mot, moi, 1--one in any language)...hair brush. Precisely, one. It was a piteous thing. A tiny round wisp of brush that had not enough bristles to hang on through the five heads of silky locks that need it. It would fit in a small purse. And that was that.


Another interesting note about Big C. To fully appreciate, you must visualize a 1960's or 70's supermarket, with two levels. The escalators are flat moving stairways, and the wheels of the cart are magnetized, so you can take them on without backing over yourself on the incline. You can check out on any level. However, if any item does not have a UPC tag with the price, they simply lay it to the side and you cannot buy it. Interesting method of doing a price check. Jillian says, "Sad, strange, but true."


Oh, and another interesting encounter today. I was buying laundry soap (to kill more roaches). Did I mention we have Tide here? However, Marissa and I both think that the Vietnamese brand has more perfume so the clothes have a stronger scent after being washed (they have a strong scent before being washed, also, but we won't talk about that). Anyhoo, there was a young lady in the detergent aisle that pointed out the Tide. It was clear she wanted me to buy it. I smiled and told her I like this one ( the "Omo" brand) because it smells better. In limited English, she told me she was a representative of Proctor & Gamble and they were having a sale. Hmmm, save money or knock myself over with the scent of "fresh fieldy flower." Well, that's a no brainer--I'm goin' for the smell. I tried to exit gracefully. Oh, yeah. Like that's gonna happen.


And now, back at home, I was doing a second load of laundry today and hanging the first load on the line. Fond memories of our trip came to me, until I pulled out a garment whose very sight will forever change the way I think of water activities. Yes, my swimsuit. Or as I now refer to it, my "tortuous-fireball sun-exposing-smolder-blister-ooze-and-peel suit." Now, that should leave a vivid little picture in your head for the rest of the day. It ain't pretty, but it's real.


And finally, speaking of real, I have toyed with my first nosy Vietnamese regarding adoption. We were at a park in DaLat and a group of four adults were following right on our heels, pointing, and discussing our family (which, is not unusual here, I must say). Presently, one of the women came to me and said, "Excuse me. Are these YOUR children?" I smiled and nodded yes. She counted and I confirmed her conclusion, "Yes. There are 5." She giggled and went back to her group, who they had a nice little conversation about it. Then, she caught up to us again, "Excuse me," she said gesturing at Jillian, Faith and Joy, "you and your husband...." she looked puzzled. "They were born in China," I said simply. She seemed to understand and returned to her group who had a nice little conflab over that portion of our conversation. We walked on. She caught up to me again. "Excuse me," she said gesturing to Elizabeth and Anna Mei, "these are your REAL children." "Oh yes," I said, "they are all real." Back to her clan for more discussion. Once more, near the exit, she grabbed my elbow again, "Excuse me," she said, "why don't they look like you?" I smiled at her and said, "I have no idea. You will have to ask the God who made them." And we left.


I have enjoyed musing like this. Jillian is sitting here with me and we have had some good laughs. Have a great day!


Grace and peace.