Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Two Years

Hard to believe we have lived in Danang for two years now. Life here is good, but very different than what I had experienced or even what I expected.

For example, today there was a noisy, windy, pounding rainstorm with bright lightening and crashing thunder, just as our language class dismissed. Jillian, Anna Mei and I decided to wait for the worst of it to pass before we headed for home on the motorbike. After about 20 minutes or so, we were on our way, wrapped in thin, colorful plastic rain ponchos. Driving with rain hitting my face is not the most pleasant experience I have had here. It is cold, stinging and somewhat blinding. We were making our way across the Han River bridge when I felt a familiar wobble—our rear tire was flat. We exited the bridge on our side of the river, then turned back to the road that runs under the bridge and took shelter from the rain while we waited for our friend Duc to come to the rescue (Tony was in his language class at the time). Duc graciously gave me his bike to drive home while he walked my bike to a repair shop and took care of the tire. Two years ago, I’m not sure I would ever have thought I could drive a motorbike…in Vietnam…in the rain…with two children.

I don’t think I would ever have imagined myself fishing an ant out of my tea, then finishing the drink without another thought. I would not have considered using toilet paper as table napkins, chopsticks as a spatula, or flip flops as formal footwear. I would have scoffed at the idea that I would not blow dry my hair every day…or curl it…or spray it. I abhorred sweat.

There are many other things I would not have guessed. I could not have imagined the immense beauty and revitalizing breeze of the Danang coastline. I had never seen the indescribable mix of pewter, blue and gray hues as the harbor water meets the mountains then the sky on a dusky evening when clouds shield the brightness of the setting sun. I could not have possibly anticipated the sorrows and joys of children pressed down by tragedies and difficulties, then finding help and hope in so many different ways. Their stories, their circumstances, their lives…have changed me.

Daily life is challenging. From safely navigating crowded streets to dealing with authorities to communication to finding everyday items (yesterday’s challenge: mustard). But I am learning to appreciate the resiliency of the people here…and their sheer strength and bravery to press on through the difficulties of their daily lives as well.

I think I am more thankful for small things. I hope I am learning to turn to my Father more quickly, with more trust, with greater surrender. I hope I am more patient with my precious daughters, and more appreciative of their participation in our purposes here.

Times…they are a ‘changin’. And I am resolved to change with them (in the best sense). Of course, some things never change. I still abhor sweat.

Grace and peace!