Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dreams

At different times in my life, I've dreamed of what might come to pass in the future. Who I might marry (that one came true), what vocation I would follow, how many children, where we would live, etc., etc., etc.

Some were fanciful, some were funny, some foolish. Recently twoexperiences made me consider the "dreams" of my life with a newappreciation for so many blessings.

"When I see you with your daughters, I dream." That's what a 20-year-old said as I waved the good-bye to the twins on a swim outing with their Dad. She lives at home with 3 siblings, grandparents and parents. She works, bringing the money home to the household. "My mother doesn't love me like that," she said quietly. I tried to reassure her. Cultures are very different. Someday, she can be the kind of mother she herself has longed for.

Another woman, seriously ill, dreams of seeing her child reach adulthood. It appears unlikely, from a human standpoint. Still, she dreams of what he will become. The education he will attain. The job he will hold. The family he will raise. Her eyes study his frame while he plays. Possibilities dance in her stedfast gaze, drawing up tears of longing.

Dreams are powerful. It is a wonderful gift that God grants us to reach out and up for something bigger than ourselves...something greater, something gallant, beautiful, life-giving, noble.

May my dreaming be worthy of the One who has dreamed up a future and hope for me. Father, keep me from consuming Your goodness only on myself. Open the portals of my heart wide and deep to the world around me. And let me dream...

Grace and peace!