Monday, February 2, 2009

My Seaside Lessons

Lining up for the race
The big finish!

Enjoying a picture-taking opportunity!

Hello, all--


If one bike ride to the beach amazed me, then I am definitely bowled over, having now completed three trips! The second was the most difficult--a very windy day, with most of the ride home riding into the wind. It was a hard go for me and for Anna Mei. But...we made it! On the third trip, Jillian was my companion, having returned from her excursion to the countryside. Not surprisingly, the travel time with Jillian was nearly cut in half--she didn't need to stop as often as Anna Mei (I use the term "need" loosely--Anna Mei likes to stop more than she needs to!).


Any way, there is something about the sea that makes me meditate on the things of God in a different way than I otherwise would. Perhaps it is the sheer expanse of it--an unending view of deep waters. On our second visit, the wind made the waves much higher. It was an awesome sight, waves cresting higher and higher, with a sheet of white blowing off the top as the wind caught the foam. The sound was deafening, but the words that came to my mind were "the roar of peace." The rhythmic ebb and flow of the crashing waves was musical, even comforting. Of course, that is the case because I watched from the safety of the shore. In the distance, I saw a boat bouncing and swaying. I dare say that its occupants did not find the same peace in the churning water. Isn't that the reality of so many things in the kingdom? Watching the mighty hand of God move from the vantage point of safety enabled me to peacefully enjoy the beauty of swirls of white and blue. If I am in the middle of the storm, looking to a feeble mass of wood for safety, clutching in my own strength and resources--my response is fear. I recognize that one's vantage point has little to do with outward physical location and everything to do with one's inward reality. The heart rested on the goodness of God can find ease while standing on the rocking vessel. The wandering, doubtful, skeptical soul finds no comfort in the safety of the shoreline--only noise and a sense of insignificance.


Another point I have been pondering came after our third visit to the beach. While we were there, the girls decided to have some races. With Tony at the starting line, and me to judge the finish, they raced back and forth. It was a lesson in celebrating our differences and accepting varied personalities. At the start, all the girls would line up like Olympians. At the signal to run, three of the five would shoot out from the starting line. Joy would usually sit dow to build a sand castle; Elizabeth would run a few steps, then return to spend time with Joy. Jillian, with eyes focused on the finish line, usually shot across it first, then kept running without breaking stride. Anna Mei crossed the finish line, then immediately broke into a victory dance (the victory was that she crossed the line), and Faith would be almost at the finish, then see the inviting waves and veer off course to play in the water. Isn't that a picture of life? All kinds of people, running the race from different perspectives, goals, and plans on how to finish a happy race.


One other humorous note (at least to me). On our last visit, a group of Vietnamese approached me to try out their English. I think the group included a couple of sisters and their friends--all in their 20s. They asked if I would take their picture, with my camera. Mind you, I had no way to give them a print, and they did not have email. They just wanted to see the display of their picture on my digital camera. It gave them immense pleasure. :)


May we all find enjoyment in such little things, without demanding more, more, more. Every day is a gift in itself. If we are able to hold close those that we love, let us count ourselves blessed. Even more, think for a moment of the indescribable blessing of being one who is loved and known (and still loved more) by the One who created it all.


Grace and peace!