Wednesday, October 1, 2008

O Happy Day!

Hello, all--

Here are the highlights of our day--

The rain stopped! The sun came out (with a vengeance--it was HOT). But...the clothes are DRY! Tonight it is raining again, but we had a lovely day.

(Drum roll, please) I made my first unassisted call for a taxi, gave them our address and asked for a car big enough for seven people (Bee and Linh were going with us to Big C). I did not have to repeat the request. The taxi arrived at the house in 5 minutes. No one was more surprised than me! :) I was able to ask the driver "How much?", ask for a receipt and thank him.

And now, another limmerick...

I thought it was dead, kaput, long gone
I even wrote it a sad little song
But the battery dried
And so when I tried
The lights on the cell phone came on!
(Yep, it's working again, folks!)

A couple of laughs....on the way to Big C, we passed these businesses
"Mai Dung"--a restaurant. (I don't know what's on the menu, but I'm not eating.)
"Total Thong"--sells bicycle tires
"Domino's"---a motorbike repair shop

Tonight at supper, Bee was at the table eating with us, as she does every night. As is not unusual here, she came out with an impressive burp. Faith, in a very calm but authoritative voice, said, "Mommy, Bee burped. Bee, say, 'Excuse me.'" Of course, Bee did not get the whole message and we all sat smiling at the table.

I read 1 Chronicles 14 yesterday, but felt compelled to revisit it again today. It is an account of two attacks upon Israel by the Philistines. Before the first attack, verse 10 says "David inquired of God, saying, "Shall I go up againt the Philistines? And will you give them into my hand?"" The Lord's answer is affirmative, for him to advance in the battle. After the victory, it is not long until the Philistines amass another raid. David again inquires of the Lord, and receives very specific instructions for his battle plan. Again, his obedience results in a great victory.

The point that has settled in my mind is the fact that yesterday's instructions, promises, strength, and successes are not enough for today. How tempting it would have been for David to say, "The Philistines are back? God gave them into my hand! Call the soldiers, let's go finish the job! We'll show threem who is the Lord's chosen one!" Sometimes I have been willing to rely on past promises, encouragement, assurances, rather than take time and stop long enough to "re-inquire" of the Lord. Lamentations tells us His mercies are new every morning. We might add that so are His instructions, help, strength and plans for victory.

Isn't fresh Bread wonderful? My Father is not a "one plan fits all" parrot--His plans are specific, intimately knowledgeable of my situation, and communicated in a way that I can understand. I am able to discern His voice and so are you! He provides everything that we need to complete His plan and purposes. How encouraging! These verses are drawing me back to prayer for "further instructions" for the new day. How about you?